Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Back, Baby!


I'm back, by popular request!

Nearly a year ago, I returned from my England adventures, bubbling with the excitement that Oxford had to offer. I settled down into a temporary life back home: living with my parents--a situation that for some would represent backpedaling or defeat, but for me was actually a lot of fun, mostly because if fun were muscles my parents could beat up your parents--working at the Princeton Review, tutoring a lot, applying to law school. 

Oh, right. Law school. Most of you, dear readers, probably know this, but in the fall I will be moving up to Boston and starting law school. That left me with a summer: three months before law school, in which I would not be tutoring or teaching. Three months to clear my head a little bit, make some money, have a medium-sized adventure. I applied to about ninety-seven thousand* internships, sowing my cover-letter-and-résumé seeds broadly and indiscriminately, having little hope for each individual attempt but great optimism for the venture as a whole. 

My internship process received an interruption when I checked my e-mail one morning to find one from The Princeton Review's Taipei office: seeking teachers, it told me. Summer teachers, part-time teachers. Couldn't hurt, right? I fired off another cover-letter-and-résumé combination, and to my surprised was invited to interview. Well, you know the rest, or at least the important parts. A summer in Taiwan might be the exact medium-sized adventure for which I have been looking, so I took the job (after some not inconsiderable convincing by TPR Taiwan's fantastic directorial team). 

I arrived two days ago. I speak very little Chinese (I can say "hello", "thank you", "I love you", and--probably most importantly--"kitty". I have Ms. Abby Rowswell to thank for that last one), and I read even less. Still, I won't have to know any Chinese to teach, and nearly all of my co-workers and office-mates have English fluency. I'm staying in a tiny little room in the Zhonghe district of New Taipei City (think metro Taipei: NTC surrounds the main city and is served by its metro transportation systems). My place might be tiny, but it's comfortable and I like the location. My co-workers were surprised at its distance from the city ("wait, you're in New Taipei City? How long does it take you to get here?!"), but it's not more than 25 minutes' travel time to reach the office. 

The view outside my window is a good representation of this part of town. It's heavily populated, and vertically populated: signs of life pour from every grate and window. House-plants, laundry, and roaming cats (māo!) spill out into the air. Taiwan is even more hot-and-humid than you've heard: every day is a bad hair day, and I can barely make it to the ground floor without being coated in a thin film of sweat. Still, that somehow lends to the sense of pervasive and undeniable life that Taipei exudes. If all else fails, one can always duck into a Wellcome Mart for some air-conditioning. 

Anyway, training's going well, I suppose. I've met some interesting people, and I look forward to getting to know them better. I'm going to resolve to be magically better at taking photos--we went to a fab place for dinner last night that I simply forgot to record. Ah, alas. Fortunately, I have three months' of dinners and outings and city rovings to document. 

Much love!







*note: actual number probably somewhat less than ninety-seven thousand


4 comments:

  1. "mostly because if fun were muscles my parents could beat up your parents"
    That made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me miss Hong Kong with the tiny rooms and vertical population. There are also Wellcomes all over the place in HK. I'm glad you're having fun so far. Lets switch lives for a bit? y/y?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Helen is back in China (well, near China)! Adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your China room is not unlike your Oxford room. It follows that you'll be living in a concrete high rise overlooking the Charles come September.

    ReplyDelete